Monday, January 24, 2011

FOTD: Sophisticated Mattes + my first pressing experiment!

Hi all! I haven't posted an FOTD in a while, sorry! Here's one I did with all mattes. I was trying to create that defined yet blended outer V look, what do you think?

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Products used:
MAC Orb
SMH (Stars Makeup Haven) Bamboo
SMH Showstopper
Sugarpill Bulletproof
WnW Mega Length Waterproof mascara

NYX Cream Blush in Natural
LA Colors Mineral Blush in Flushed
MAC Nymphette Lipglass

Gah! I have so many products to review from my last hauls of 2010 it's unreal. I'll get to it eventually!

So, this thread on MUA inspired me to try pressing my loose shadows! The thing that's been stopping me from pressing my shadows previously was the fact that I have mostly samples, and I thought you had to have at least a full size shadow to press it. But I learned from reading that post that TKB sells much smaller pans that sample sizes are just perfect for. So I placed an order for a bunch of 15 mm pans, pressing tiles, empty palettes, and their pressing medium. I spent a few hours working on it. If you want to try pressing, I'd recommend that you be in the mood to experiment, and I'd recommend you have some shadows on hand that you don't particularly care about. My first couple of pans didn't come out so well. Finally I started getting a formula down and they came out much better after that. First I practiced on some ELF mineral eyeshadows, then I got brave and tried it on a Fyrinnae. Here's the result:

Photobucket


The ELFs went great! Then something kinda weird happened with the Fyrinnae. It's an Arcane Magic shadow. (Dragonmagic, sparkly blackened green.) I noticed after mixing it and putting it away to dry that this white...residue? I'm not even sure what to call it. Anyway, white stuff was kinda floating on the surface. And it dried that way, you can see it in the photo. Dragonmagic is a very blackened shadow so this was surprising to me. I'm not really sure what happened. I dug a brush into the shadow to test it out, and while it does look very different from its loose shadow form, it was still a nice shimmery green in pressed form. Maybe the white gunk is only on the surface? I dunno. Kinda weird, but totally not keeping me from pressing more! Even after filling that pan I still had a ton of my Fyrinnae sample left!

I'm addicted now! I'm very eager to press more. The only thing about it I dislike is the mess. You have to be ready to get messy. And I totally recommend TKB, they sent my order very quickly, and when a palette arrived broken, I emailed her and she refunded me like within 20 minutes. Excellent customer service. :)

Good night ladies!

12 comments:

  1. I love the eye look! I have been doing mattes a lot lately. Can I ask you, I don't remember you mentioning, but what foundation do you use? If you use one I guess :D Your skin always looks so great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mattes look great on you! I love how you blend colors together :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cait: Aw, thank you hun. It's funny but I always think of my skin as the worst thing about my face. I have eczema and it's usually dry and flaky and sometimes rashy. I also get acne. The foundation I'm wearing here is the new Maybelline Fit Me. It's pretty good. I believe this is the first time I wore it. In my previous posts I'm wearing Maybelline Instant Age Rewind. :)

    Thanks for the comments ladies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the eyeshadow, you've blended it perfectly! And i'm so addicted to pressing as well, I pressed everything I have and sometimes even wish I would break eyeshadows just so I can fix them by pressingg... sad isn't it lol!

    Lilit

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous eye look and nice work on the pigment pressing, I want to give that a go myself soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The outer V is blended very well and looks good! I've only pressed a few shadows. I have so much loose stuff, it would cost way too much moolah for me to get more supplies to press everything. So I'm just gonna stick with using loose shadows.
    Do you plan on pressing everything you have?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blix: I'm going to try pressing everything except mattes, I've heard they don't generally press well. It's going to take a while of course, I've been doing about 4 or 5 pans a night! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very good look on ya! :D As for the pressings did you end up just using the binding stuff or did you use glycerin too?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jennie: I used TKB's binder plus alcohol, and that's it. It seemed to work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you very much for the tip! I have 26mm pans, and small samples I would like to press. The 15mm pans are perfect! Just ordered a bounch!

    Great blog, by the way!!

    ReplyDelete

© 2012 Darcey Parrott for Femputer Makeup. Powered by Blogger.

Followers

beautiful bloggers:

© femputer makeup, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena