Friday, October 8, 2010

Review: Maybelline eyeshadow quads, including the 'Smokes' series

Hi everyone! I have a mass of swatches for you all tonight!

If you're like me, you've been burned by Maybelline's crappy shadows in the past and are very hesitant to try ANYTHING eye related that Maybelline produces. I'm very happy to report that Maybelline has reformulated their eyeshadows and really stepped up their game. I couldn't believe my eyes after swatching one quad, and that one led to me getting many others!

I have nothing but good things to say about these. They're all very pigmented, soft and blendable, and last all day with primer. The colors are gorgeous, too.

Let's start off with the 'Smokes' series. First I'll show you the quads themselves and then some swatches.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
These are all swatched on bare skin, NO primer! I apologize for the state of my arm, my eczema has been freaking out lately. :(

Anyway, aren't they beautiful?? That purple in the Amethyst smokes quad is so lovely! And Natural Smokes is my favorite for making a neutral brown smoky eye. But I love them all, it's so hard to pick a favorite!

Next I have a group of three that aren't part of the 'Smokes' series and are just regular editions of the permanent line, as far as I can tell.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
These are lovely as well. They're a little more subtle and not quite as 'in your face' as the Smokes quads, but I still like them. The only one I'm not too fond of is the Designer Chocolates palette. I think I actually picked that one up before Maybelline reformulated all their shadows though, so that might account for it's low pigmentation and odd texture. I think Chai Latte is my favorite of these three. That shimmery copper shade is just so pretty! It's so metallic and looks like you foiled it even when you didn't. And the matte browns in that quad are so smooth and velvety.

I have to admit, I've got a huge eyeshadow collection, and when faced with a billion choices, I just go blank. I have a hard time putting more than 3 colors together and usually they're various shades of the same color! So one of my favorite things about these quads is that they take the guesswork out of picking colors and where to put them. It's clearly labeled. I've applied ALL of these as directed and they make fabulous eye looks.

Photobucket
Photobucket
See? I'm wearing Chai Latte today. :)

So what do you think? Do you own any Maybelline quads? If not, have my swatches tempted you to pick up any? LOL!

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

9 comments:

  1. Oh wow!!! These are my favourite drugstore eyeshadow as well! You have no idea how excited I am right now :p
    I love love love natural smoke quad and chai latte quad. I wear them chai latte quad for work and natural smoke quad for weekends. I also have designer chocolates and charcoal smokes quad. I was kind of disappointed with the bottom two colours of the charcoal quad but the top two colours are beautiful and I am actually wearing them right now :)

    Now I have to pick up the remaining two quads after reading your post :p Thank you so much for the swatches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enchanted Forest looks so pretty, I might need to get that :D I have a palette from their Salsa Sun collection with 8 or 10 gorgeous colors, and it is AMAZING, it's hard to believe its drugstore brand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aya: You're welcome! I love being an enabler! LOL! XD

    Heather: I know! I saw Earthly Glow on your blog and went 'OMG I want that, why didn't I get it when I had the chance?!' *facepalm* I've checked all the nearby drugstores, the Salsa Sun collection has unfortunately departed. :( Ah well, I'll content myself with these quads! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow..great collection....Love the smokey ones especially!! I'll surely get them soon. I really love Amethyst smokes....All look so pigmented. Even the one I bought is lovely on applying....I'll soon post the look.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rakshanda: Can't wait to see what you come up with! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review and pics! They all look lovely and I absolutely love eye shadows with clear instructions on what should be applied where! it's just so handy if you wanna create a quick but gorgeous look

    Never been a huge fan of Maybelline but I love the smokey quads so I'd definitely be tempted to pick up one or two :)

    http://mytopbeautybuys.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG the purple in Amethyst Smokes and the crease shade in Chai Latte = love. The crease shade is gorgeous on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. SilhouetteScreams: I agree! Love those two colors. Thank you so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe you'll get lucky and find it somewhere, one of the Walgreens in my town still has a couple things from the Salsa Sun display up, so there's always hope!

    ReplyDelete

© 2012 Darcey Parrott for Femputer Makeup. Powered by Blogger.

Followers

beautiful bloggers:

© femputer makeup, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena