Thursday, October 21, 2010

Review: Bella Sugar cosmetics

Hi pretty ladies! I have what I hope will be a very in-depth and helpful review for you tonight.

I first learned about Bella Sugar Cosmetics from Phyrra. When I figured out that this etsy shop sold mineral shadows in pressed form, I knew I had to make an order. The pigmentation and sparkliness of mineral shadows in pressed palette form? Without me doing any of the pressing work (which I'm sure to screw up)? Yes please! I think there's been a bit of discussion about whether Bella Sugar 'repackages.' Phyrra explains it really well here. Apparently some of her shadows (I'm not sure which ones or how many of them) are TKB favorites with bases added and pressed. But she's very honest about it, and if you email her and ask about shades so you don't get a duplicate, I'm sure she'd be very willing to communicate with you about it. I don't personally consider Bella Sugar to be a repackager because she does the work of pressing the micas and puts them in nice little palettes. That takes a lot of time and work. Since she seems to be very honest about the origins of her shadows, I can't really fault her for using TKB colors. I obviously made a big purchase of her shadows and for the most part I'm extremely pleased with them. I wouldn't toss my money at someone that I think is a repackager.

Anyway, let me show you the palettes I bought. I got 3 total, 2 of them have 18 shadows in them, and one has 9. Take a look at some pics.
Photobucket
Photobucket
As you can see the palettes come with a little chart showing the names of the colors. Very helpful!

Here's the shadows themselves:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Somehow I ordered Golden Leaf twice! XD

Ready for swatches?
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Some color notes:
  • You may notice there are no swatches for Porcelain or Birthday Suit. These shadows looked to be matte, and I could not get any color out of them, short of scraping them with something, to swatch them. I seem to remember reading somewhere that sometimes mattes just don't press well. Maybe that's what happened here. Still, I have 2 shadows that I can't really use. I was thinking of scraping them out of the pans into a jar and smashing them up to get some use out of them.
  • Sinnamon and Pirates Booty look like the exact same color, both in the pan and the swatch. A medium brown shimmer with golden sparkle. Pirates Booty is maybe a tad darker. I don't know if the color was renamed and I happened to order both, or what. It's a pretty color, though.
  • Chocolate Covered Blueberries is a gorgeous color. I love the brown and blue duochrome. Does anyone think this might be a MAC Club dupe? I don't own it, but it looks similar to pictures I've seen.
  • Ah, Taupetastic! I love a good taupe. This one is perfect.
  • Vanilla is a gorgeous golden pinkish highlight color. I use this one a lot.
  • Precious looks goldish ivory in the pan, but has a lovely blue flash to it. It's so pretty. I like this one as a highlight too.
  • Casey is supposed to be their imitation of MAC Stars and Rockets.
  • Glow is so pretty, I could see dusting that on my cheeks as a highlight.
  • There's some fantastic pinks and purples here. I'm loving them all.
I've done some looks with only Bella Sugar shadows this week, and here's some pictures.

Look #1:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
This is Luck O' The Irish in the crease, Pirates Booty on the lid, and Vanilla on the browbone.

Look #2:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
This is LA on the inner lid, Mika on the outer lid, and Precious on the browbone.

Look #3:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
This is California Poppy on the lid, Naked Sparkle in the crease, and a bit of Sinnamon and Hot Chocolate to deepen the crease.

I have so many options with this palette. I can go colorful, neutral, or smokey. The pigmentation and sparkle of these shadows is fantastic.

The texture of these shadows is a bit weird to me, though. I've never dealt with a pressed mica shadow before, though, so I may just not know what they're like. The shadows are very soft and kind of crumbly. I think dropping a palette could destroy the shadows. They don't seem to stick together in the pan very well. And when you use a brush to apply it to your eyes, the shadows are sort of...chunky. I'm not sure how to describe it, but they're different than shadows I'm used to. I noticed this week if I wasn't careful with my application the shadows caked up in the corners and creases of my eyes. This may just be my inexperience with this type of shadow, though.

All in all, I'm very glad I bought these palettes. I really like them and I love the colors. I'm really happy that they are pressed. Pressed shadows are easier for me to use.

Have you tried any Bella Sugar? What did you think of them?

So that's about all I have to say. I hope this helped somebody. Have a good night, everyone!

7 comments:

  1. OMG..lot of colors and all are pretty and lovely..looking pigmented too..wow..you have got lot of shades to play..haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review and great swatches! I can never decide if I want to try this brand or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great swatches, all the greens look beautiful. And I absolutely adore the look you did with Pirate's Booty and Luck O' the Irish <3

    I don't have any experience with pressed mineral eyeshadows, but I've heard that MAC pigments tend to get crumbly and chunky when they're pressed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rakhshanda: Yep! I think I could wear only Bella Sugar for 6 months and not run out of combinations. :D

    Silhouette Screams: Thanks for the input, that helps so much! Actually I think I got the inspiration for the Pirates Booty and Luck O' The Irish combo from you! XD

    Heather: No prob! Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh they are GORGEOUS! And looking at the website, they are awesome price wise. I don't see the 18 palettes anywhere though :(
    Were they a special listing? Pricier than her 9 piece palette?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got so excited I forgot to say the 2nd look really suits you, especially with your beautiful eye color :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joice: Thank you!

    Hmm, I don't see the 18 palettes anywhere either. Maybe she decided to stop carrying the smaller pans. :( You might try convo-ing her about it, she's always been very quick to respond to me.

    ReplyDelete

© 2012 Darcey Parrott for Femputer Makeup. Powered by Blogger.

Followers

beautiful bloggers:

© femputer makeup, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena