Sunday, October 10, 2010

friday night eyeshadow experiment

So, Friday I was really really bored. So I decided to play around with my Fyrinnae shadows (which have been neglected for far too long) and make a different look on each eye.

While I was doing this I came to a sad realization. I really prefer pressed eyeshadows. They're just easier and more convenient for me. I'm really terribly messy when I use loose shadows. It gets all over the surface I'm working on, and no matter what I do I get fallout. No matter how much I 'tap' the excess off the brush, no matter if I use pixie epoxy or not, no matter if I foil, I STILL get splashes of color on my cheeks and nose. That's just way more than I can deal with when I'm trying to get ready in 20 minutes on a normal weekday. I mean, the only way I can seem to use loose shadows is when I have plenty of time, like an hour plus. And I rarely have that kind of time.

This makes me sad because without a doubt, the prettiest colors in my collection are loose shadows from indie mineral makeup companies. No pressed shadow has ever come close to the sparkle, pigmentation and sometimes duochrome-ness that I get with loose shadows. I guess it's possible that some pressed eyeshadow could appropriate that same awesomeness, but I'm thinking that they're probably high end shadows that I can't/won't shell out the cash for anyway.

So, I'm having some anxiety over my loose shadow collection. I've got at least 20+ loose shadows in jars, and god, like 100+ shadows in sample baggies. Just sitting there. Only getting used on the weekend when I have time. What do I do with them? I feel sick when I think of swapping them. No doubt they'd go to a better home, but...they're so pretty...I'm having a hard time letting go.

So that's the kind of mindset I was in while making these eye looks.

For this first look on my left eye, I pretty much chose colors at random. Even if I didn't think they'd look good together, I was determined to come up with something unusual.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
This is:
Pixie Epoxy
Damn Paladins on the inner corner
Mephisto in the middle of the lid
Avenging Salem on the outer corner
(LA colors loose shadow in Snow White as highlight and blender)

I'm pretty disappointed that the colors did not show true in these pictures. It looks kinda washed out and not nearly as vibrant as it was in person. Damn Paladins is this pretty taupe with an insane blue overtone, Mephisto is a dark vivid purple with a copper overtone, and Avenging Salem is a black base with red sparkle. The pictures just did not capture the crazy purpleness that was happening in the middle and outerlid.

For this second look, I chose the shadows very deliberately.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
This is:
Pixie Epoxy
Sennyo on inner lid
Parental Advisory in crease
Fyre & Ice in the outer V
(LA colors loose shadow in Snow White as highlight and blender)

This set of pictures are much more true to how this looked in person. I really liked this one a lot.

Thanks for looking. All your comments and thoughts are greatly appreciated. I never realized how many thoughtful and supportive ladies there are in the beauty community. It seems like lately I've been hearing about a lot of negativity, but your comments remind me that there are kind people online as well. :)

8 comments:

  1. Love the looks you've created! they're really beautiful and the colours you've gone for are brill. I dunno what I'd do without my loose shadows - I find they are awesome for creating really OTT looks :)

    http://mytopbeautybuys.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are both beautiful, but I especially LOVE the second one <3 I know I have Parental Advisory, and I think I have Sennyo, so I might try and recreate it ^_^ I love how you did the crease/outer v, I wish I had a steady enough hand to get it looking that perfect.

    Most of my shadows are loose, I just always do my eyes before my face makeup, so I can just wipe all the fallout off with makeup removing wipes (or just spit, because I hate spending money on wipes :P) I don't tend to do very many looks during the week either, especially when I have morning class or work. But I love that when I DO have the time, I have so many color options. Sugarpill has amazing pressed shadows, and they're not really cheap but they are INSANELY pigmented, it is amazing. More so than most of the loose shadows I have. Have you tried working with mattes for less fallout? Detrivore makes tons of mattes. Also, http://www.bf-beauty.com/ has around 160 beautiful pressed shadows in all kinds of shades, and they're only $1.50!

    gosh that was long... I hope it helped though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree. I have lots of mineral loose eyeshadows from everyday minerals but stopped reaching for them long time ago. They are just too messy and fall out is massive :(
    The only eyeshadow I have been using lately is the maybelline eyeshadow quad. I love how quick and easy -no need to think about the combination!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All Made Up: Thank you! You're definitely right about that, when you want vivid colors, you can't get much better than loose shadows. :)

    Heather: Oh please do, I'd love to see your take on this combination! I'm sure your hands are steady enough, you always do a beautiful job at blending. :)

    Haha, I can just picture you going 'ptooey ptooey' on a kleenex and then wiping your face! XD

    Do loose mattes really have less fallout?? I didn't know that! I haven't looked at Detrivore although I've heard a lot about them. I'll have to check it out and order some samples! And yes, BF Beauty has called and called to me...I don't know how I've managed to restrain myself from making an order! :P Maybe someday!

    And thank you for you comments, I really appreciate your thoughts. :)

    Aya: I'm definitely glad to hear I'm not alone in my messiness with loose shadows, lol! I totally love quads that have it all planned out for you! No thinking required! Perfect for the morning when you're in a rush to get to work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow...I love both eye makeup but second is very very pretty...your makeup skill is amazing...hey is this your real lashes?
    very long and beautiful...ok now listen, I want that you try a golden eye makeup...I'll love to see a golden touch on your eyes...I'll wait for this look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the dark crease in the first look, and the bright colours in the second look :D

    I'm not much help with loose shadows on a strict time frame, because I usually just get up freakishly early to do my makeup D: haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. SilhouetteScreams: Haha, I'd imagine you get up early as awesome as your makeup looks! :-D

    Thanks for commenting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rakhshanda: Yes, those are my real lashes. :-) I credit the length to using castor oil to remove my eye makeup. It supposedly promotes hair growth. It may just be an old wives' tale, but I have seen major results after using it for almost a year. :)

    Ok, a gold look! I think I've got an idea...a gold look will be upcoming. Thanks for the request and comments! :)

    ReplyDelete

© 2012 Darcey Parrott for Femputer Makeup. Powered by Blogger.

Followers

beautiful bloggers:

© femputer makeup, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena