Friday, September 3, 2010

pixie epoxy frustrations

I'm sure you've all at least heard of this product. Pixie Epoxy. If you google pixie epoxy, you'll come upon hundreds of blog posts singing this product's praises. Makeup junkies love this stuff. It's an HG for many of them.

I was convinced that I'd love it too, so I ordered a full size tube.

I do love it. I love how loose eyeshadow looks when applied on top of pixie epoxy. It grabs the glitter like a magnet and makes any color more vibrant and beautiful. It takes what's in the jar and makes it look that way on your lids.

You knew there was a 'but' coming, so here it is: But...

I've tried to do looks using PE many, many times, and the results all varied. Sometimes it worked fine, no problems. Sometimes I get a little bit of creasing in the inner corner of my eye where the PE kind of gunks up and collects the shadow. Sometimes the PE sort of breaks down my UDPP so that creasing is practically guaranteed. Sometimes, like today, 20 minutes after I apply my makeup I glance in the mirror and gasp in horror at how horrible my makeup looks, because there's a quarter-inch wide crease right down the middle of my lid!!!

And then I go and wash my face and cry a little bit because I worked so hard for nothing.

I've tried varying my technique. I've used more UDPP, less PE, waited forever and a day for both products to dry, I've patted, I've rubbed...you name it, I've tried it. I've read every blogger's explanation of how they use PE that I can find. I've tried all their suggestions.

Still, 9 times out of 10 my eyeshadow looks ganky if I've used PE. Not because the sparklies aren't pretty, but because of the creasing and/or gunking up in the folds of my eye.

I'm seriously on the point of swapping this thing, ya'll. *sigh*

I am just so frustrated! How can a product that seems to work just fine for many others not work at all for me?

So let me ask you this, those of you who use PE: Do you get odd creasing? Teh troofs, now. I know you all can take pretty pictures of your shadow right after application, but how does it look in 30 minutes? In an hour?

Ever since Scrangie posted that she had PE issues, I've been wondering more and more if it isn't just me.

I'm not trying to blast Fyrinnae at all. Now that Aromaleigh's bit the dust, they are my very favorite indie company, and I have many of their shadows. For complexity of color and interesting shadow names you simply cannot top Fyrinnae, in my opinion. I'm sure they've created a wonderful product here. I just can't bloody figure out how to use it effectively! I'm blaming my stupidity rather than Fyrinnae.

Help?

5 comments:

  1. I haven't had a problem with mine yet. I use it over UDPP and really do use just a bit and tap it all evenly (or add a bit more if I couldn't tap enough to cover the whole lid, if it's creasing, there's too much, just like primer, you don't want creasing before the shadow goes on, just keep smoothing it off) and go grab my colours while I wait for it to settle for a minute. I don't rush at this point cuz I know it will never completely dry, just get tacky for the colour so I'll have time. And later it still looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, KittenMittens! That actually really helps, because I think maybe a combination of using too much UDPP and PE was causing my trouble. I'm going to keep trying! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I just found your blog and I love it <3

    I agree with Mindy, maybe you are using just a little too much? That's usually what my problem is when I don't get it right. I think the Fyrinnae guys once said the amount you need is only about the size of a pixel. That seems teeny to me, so maybe a few pixels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Heather! Thanks so much! :")

    You're probably right. I did some 'spearimenting last night and used the smallest bit of epoxy I could manage. I also eased up on the UDPP. It seemed to work well. I got a teeny bit of creasing, but nothing crazy.

    Thank you for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hee hee, I probably have by NO MEANS any room to give tips, but what I do, is take an E/S brush and dab it in the pot (got the sample size) and scrape any excess back in the pot, I use what is left on the brush to put over UDPP and that seems to do the trick for me. I sometimes wet the brush before doing so too (cause I saw that for some of the Fyrinnae shadows that they suggested to do so in their tips). Hope that helps some :D

    ReplyDelete

© 2012 Darcey Parrott for Femputer Makeup. Powered by Blogger.

Followers

beautiful bloggers:

© femputer makeup, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena