Saturday, August 28, 2010

Urban Decay's Ammo vs. ELF BeautyBook Eye Brights palette

(Update: Heather from Eyeconic did much prettier swatches of these shadows using pixie epoxy. It's amazing how much it helped the elf colors out. My swatches look pitiful in comparison. Check hers out here!)

Hi everyone! I have a comparison post today that I hope will be helpful to you.

When the ELF BeautyBooks started appearing in Target, there was talk on MUA of the 'Eye Brights' edition being a dupe of the Urban Decay Ammo palette. Since Ammo is one of the very few HE products I own, I was curious and had to see for myself if they were dupes. So I got my own, snapped some pics, and here they are!

Here's the cover of the palettes:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


And the palettes open:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Just at a glance, they look similar, don't they?


Here's individual swatches of each palette. First, the Ammo:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Some thoughts on the Ammo palette alone: I like this palette, I should really use it more often. I think I've been so happy withdrugstore and indie makeup companies' products that I'm kinda dismayed that I paid like $33 for this thing. :-/ There are some definite glitter bombs in this palette. By that I mean that at least 5 of these shadows will leave glitter alllll over your face. You can try the 'wet the brush with visine' trick, but I still get craploads of glitter fallout when I do that. Slightly annoying. Still, the colors are very pretty.


Now for the ELF Eye Brights:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Some thoughts on the Eye Brights palette alone: Yikes, there's some total duds in this palette, and also some total wins! See the first shade in row 1? That glittery white? There's literally no pigment in it. It's nothing but white glitter. It's so loosely pressed that I gouged a huge hole in the shadow just swatching it with a q-tip. It looks like a little pan full of a pile of glittery sand. Weird. All of the other shadows are also similarly soft and easily gougable, but none quite so bad as that first white shade. Anyway, I think you can see the level of pigmentation. It's better on some colors than others. See the 4th shade in row 1? It's such a gorgeous taupe color! I'm a total taupe addict. Another stand out is the very last black shade in row 3. It's so sharp, crisp and clear. Tons of multi-colored glitter in it.


Okay, let's analyze the 'dupes' one by one, shall we? I'll go in the order that the shades appear in the Ammo palette.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
First off, the much beloved Mildew. As you can see, the UD version is more pigmented, and let's face it, prettier.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Now, Oil Slick. OOOH! Do you see how muddy and dull the UD version is, and how sharp and clear the ELF version is? I think the ELF version of Oil Slick is better! From swatching them I think the ELF version is easier to work with, as well. Amazing, huh?


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Last Call. Again, close. But no cigar.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Maui Wowie. For looking so similar in the pan, these don't even seem like the same color when swatched side by side.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Shattered. Hmm. ELF seems to have captured the exact shade of the blue, but they left out the lovely gold duochrome that is present in Shattered. Close, but not an exact dupe. Another case of them looking so similar in the pan yet so different on the skin.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Polyester Bride vs. ELF's white glitter sand that flies everywhere. :-/ Any idea which I like better?


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Grifter. These are pretty similar, but again the duochrome shimmer is lost in the ELF version.


Final thoughts: It's pretty obvious that ELF had the Ammo palette in mind when they created Eye Brights. (I didn't know this until I read it recently, but apparently that's how many cosmetics companies create their products. They obtain a sample from another company, attempt to recreate it, then slap their own label and packaging on it. That's why many popular colors are easily dupable.) With the exception of ELF's 'Oil Slick,' they honestly didn't execute it very well. Still, the ELF palette is not without merit. I like enough of the shades in it to say it was money well spent. (Only $5!) I feel comfortable having both palettes, because they're different enough. ELF is a brand that is so hit or miss. Some of their products are just fabulous and amazing, others will make you wish you'd not spent money on them. I'd highly recommend checking out ELF's reviews on MUA before you shill out for any of their products. Even if you do get a dud, however, you'll have wasted less than $5 much of the time, so you don't have to feel too bad. And there's always swapping! :)

So that's it! Hope that was helpful to you guys. Thanks for reading.

Do you have the Eye Brights palette? What do you think of it?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© 2012 Darcey Parrott for Femputer Makeup. Powered by Blogger.

Followers

beautiful bloggers:

© femputer makeup, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena